DIY creaseless hair ties

I’m a bit obsessed with those cute creaseless hair ties that you see everywhere. I usually keep one on my wrist so that I can throw my hair into a ponytail at any given time. They make a nice addition to my afternoon workouts, too. I can take my hair down afterwards without the worry of annoying creases that come with ponytails. Plus, how cute are they?

The problem is, they can be costly. I’ve seen them at local boutiques for as much as $2.50. Which is crazy, it’s a hair tie and every girl knows, you need more than one hair tie. They looked easy enough to make, so I set out to make my own and save a little money in the process.

creaseless hair ties

IMG_6863

Here is what you’ll need:

• 5/8 inch foldover elastic, I ordered mine here. To get the best price, order in bulk and have them mix up the colors. For example, you can do 100 yards of solid colors for 29.50 and just put in the notes section at checkout what colors you want and they’ll mix up the yardage for you. It comes out cheaper this way.
  • one piece of paper
  • scissors
  • lighter

Here’s how you’ll do it:

1. Measure your elastic using the longest side of the paper as your guide. IMG_6866
  2. Fold your elastic in half.IMG_6879
  3. Tie a knot in the end and singe with the lighter. If you want yours to be tighter of looser you can adjust the length in the step above. BK loves these too, so I made a shorter set for her to wear.

IMG_6870

IMG_6891

It really is that simple and the elastic is cheap so they end up being so cheap. I have less than a quarter each in the ones I made. The elastic comes in a wide variety of colors, patterns and textures. Even if you not typically a DIY person, I still think you’ll be just fine making these.

IMG_6897

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
FacebookTwitterPinterest

Comments

1. says

Jennifer this is a great idea!! I love these! I will be making some of these soon. Thanks for the idea. Have a great weekend!
    Angie

2. Tausha says

Thank you for the awesome tutorial! I have been looking into this recently but I’m not sure which company to buy from. I love the variety that you were able to get, where did you buy from?

3. says

Hi Jennifer! I love that you posted about how to make these! I love to wear them, but you’re right, they are a little over-priced. What website (online store) did you use to buy all of your chevron elastic? Thanks!
    Lindsay recently posted..A Bunch of NothingMy Profile

4. Emily says

where did you buy your fold over elastic at? i saw some on a craft website called Sunshine Shoppe from .40 cents to $1.50 cents a yard, is that about what you paid for it? i have curly hair so regular hair ties get stuck a lot! not to mention they’re absolutely adorable and would look way cuter on your wrist than a normal hair tie

5. says

Thanks for sharing this tutorial! I just bought one while on our beach vacation for $3 in a local boutique in AL. Now I can pay that much & make quite a few in different colors.
    Elizabeth recently posted..Surgery UpdateMy Profile

6. says

people must not have read the post because she indicates where she bought the elastic from and includes a link.
    super cute, i think i’ll be trying these out real soon!
    thanks for sharing!
    lesley recently posted..olay cc cream.My Profile

7. says

When you ordered, did you just do the plain foldover, then ask for both solids and patterns? Or did you have to order the patterns separately?

8. Ashley Trusty says

On the creaseless hair ties . Which are awesome. But what is the exact name of the fabric used? Should I be able toget from local store? You could also do hwad bands. Thanks! If u could email me that would be great

9. Molly says

This is awesome!! They don’t sell the elastic at my crafting store and I’m so glad you provided a website I can order from! THank you SOO much!!!

• says

The paper appears to be an ordinary 8.5-inch x 11-inch sheet of printer paper (standard in America, not sure about other countries, in cm that would be 12.59cm x 27.94cm, so ~28cm for the long side of a standard American sheet of printer paper)

10. Craftygirl says

How long did the shipping from the website took? I ordered from them 5 business days ago and I haven’t received anything, not even a status. I can’t wait for them to arrive!

11. Brianna says

How do I choose my colors when I order?
    Do I do it when it says comment about your order? If so can I also choose how much I want of each colors?

12. says

I’m curious as to what you understood “creaseless” to mean and how that applies to these hair ties — to me, creaseless meant a continuous circle of material with no ridges, such as how a rubber band has no crease and is mostly identical at every point around it, rather than having a knot at one point in the circle =)

• Mama Jewel says

“creaseless” refers to the fact that these hair ties do not leave a crease in one’s hair after wearing them, not the actual hair tie itself.

13. Adrienne says

I needed to get the supplies for these quickly (no time to order online), as we are doing this as a craft at our MOPS meeting i a few days. I found the fold over elastic at Hobby Lobby: $2.99 for 4 yards (on a spool) and available in 9 colors. No glitter or fun patterns, but still cute (and not too pricey!) for last-minute gals like me. :)

• Jennifer says

Hi Amy! It’s a type of elastic and I linked to it, I love the company I ordered from. Fast and efficient with plenty of options :)

14. says

Hello! Just wanted to introduce myself. I’m the shop owner for Enchanted Elastics and I have over 200 prints of FOE foldover elastics. I am based in Vancouver, BC Canada but I ship worldwide. My of my prints are $.90/yard and I have sales often. http://www.enchantedelastics.com I’m bringing in lace elastic soon as well. Me and my girls are addicted to hair ties! It also makes the BEST bookmarks. Just cut a 21″ piece of elastic and tie it just like you do a hair tie and voila! Stays in your book and you can print some really cute prints!

15. says

When I originally commented I seem to have clicked the
    -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now
    on each time a comment is added I receive 4 emails with
    the same comment. Perhaps there is an easy method you can remove
    me from that service? Thank you!
    Cornelius recently posted..CorneliusMy Profile

• Jennifer says

Hi! I don’t think I can do anything about that on my end because I use a different plug-in for comments. Maybe you can mark it as Spam?

16. says

I think this is among the most significant info for me.
    And i am glad reading your article. But want to remark on few general things, The website style is perfect,
    the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers
    hobbies recently posted..hobbiesMy Profile

17. says

Hi there! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering
    if you knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my
    comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having trouble finding one?
    Thanks a lot!
    Danelle recently posted..DanelleMy Profile

18. Jennifer Crum says

I noticed you have a lighter in some of the pictures – did you use that somehow in this project?
    Thank you for this tutorial.

Trackbacks

1. […] Even they are  nothing really special, this hair ties can be bit pricey. So, why not make them at hoe with using  foldover elastic. You can make a bunch of them and  keep one on your  wrist so you can throw your  hair into a ponytail at any given time. If you need help get the DIY from lifeinthegreenhouse.com […]