date night in a jar

Update:

• You can see an updated Date Night In A Jar post here.
  • Check out the entire Stick It In A Jar series, here.
  • Be sure to “like” Life In The Green House on Facebook  to stay up-to-date on all of the date night jar happenings, new dates and other fun jars, coming soon. Thanks for visiting!
Hi, I’m Jennifer and I am the most indecisive person you will ever meet. I’m over think things so choosing between two places to eat on Sunday afternoon when church lets out is something I try to avoid every single week. Why? Well, because I take many things into consideration. Who’s going with us? Will they like it? Did they eat this type of food yesterday? Will there be a wait (I have a toddler, you know)? Am I on a diet this week? Those are the first set of questions that go through my head. Did I also tell you I’m completely ADD? It’s a horrible combination when each time I over think something my ADD kicks in and it leads me on a different path. Like right now, I’m way off base.

Back to the point of this post, Allen and I opted for new clothes and weekend trips this year for V-Day. He’s going fishing this weekend and I’m going to Blissdom next weekend. BUT, I thought, why don’t I do something creative and inexpensive for him so that he can have something on Valentine’s day. I thought perhaps a date night at home bag, I’ve seen those “pinned” all over the place recently.  You know, a movie, popcorn, coke, candy, all in a cute little bag and ready for “date night” at home? Well, in the midst of searching for those I came across this cute idea for “Date Night In A Jar.”

I tweaked it just a little and created this “Date Night In A Jar” for Allen. Okay, and for me too I’m thinking this will help in a major way when we can’t decide what we want to do and neither of us wants to make the decision. Hence the reason I talked about my indecisiveness  up there in the beginning.

I started with just a plain mason jar with a wide mouth. Little known fact, I have about a million mason jars in my laundry room. My grandmother cans veggies and such from the garden each year and her only request is that she gets the jars back for next year. That’s right, we aren’t mentioning to her that I used one for a craft project 😉

I used big popsicle sticks and spray painted them different colors. Each color represents a different type of date (and each color is explained on the tag) and the white sticks were used as fillers.

Red sticks have more expensive dates on them that require planning on our part.

• Bed and Breakfast
  • Dinner at a fancy restaurant
  • Hotel stay for the night
  • Auburn home game and away game
  • Concert and dinner (his choice)
  • Concert and dinner (my choice)
  • Weekend away
  • Coupes Massage

Dark pink sticks have “at home” dates:

• Chopped Challenge (like the television show on FoodNetwork)
  • Fondue and Almost Famous
  • Takeout and board games
  • 1,000 piece puzzle and pizza
  • Football game and nachos
  • Popcorn and a chick-flick
  • Crosswords and breakfast for dinner
  • Make a dessert together
  • Friday Night Lights marathon
  • Homemade pizzas and an Italian movie

Light Pink dates have things we can do away from home but are less expensive than the red and don’t require as much planning.

• Dinner and a movie (my choice and his choice)
  • Laser tag and go carts
  • Mexican night at Cocina Superior
  • Drive-In date
  • Dessert only date
  • Window shopping for the house
  • Bowling
  • The Melting Pot
  • Coffee Date
And a little key on the back of the tag for the colors.
I’m so excited about this and it eases my indecisive mind for sure. Plus, it’s a cute little craft to sit on the desk in the bedroom :)
What’s your favorite date night idea?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
FacebookTwitterPinterest

Comments

1. says

Jennifer- you never cease to amaze me!! Seriously!!! This is absolutely genius!!! I am also a very indecisive person and now I think I will be making one of these for the hubs as a belated valentines day gift!! I love it!!! Thank you!!! Xoxox

2. says

What a great idea!! I think I’m going to have to borrow this. :)

And I want to hear more about this Chopped game! Sounds like something my husband would be all over!

3. says

This is so cute Jennifer! I’m sure the husby loved it! Also, I can 100% identify with the first paragraph of your post. Nice to know I’m not the only one! :)

4. says

What a great idea!!!!!! I LOVE THIS!!!! I need to do this for us. Seems like when we do get out without child, we really don’t know what to do with ourselves. This would remove all guess work! PERFECT!!!!!

5. says

What a fantastic idea! I love it. I really need to do this for us. We have been bad about not getting out since we had Mason. This would really help us.

6. says

LOVE this idea! I too don’t like to make decisions and think of everyone else before me when it comes to making them. This is an idea I can actually do!

7. says

I love this so much. My DH and I are in desperate need of date nights and working on our marriage and this seems so perfect to help out with that. I would love to know what you do for the Chopped Challenge. That is one of our favorite shows.

8. says

Great idea, but out of curiosity, do you guys have guidelines as to when or how often you choose a stick? Do you rotate between red, dark and light pink, or is it all left to chance? @Mommy2Maddox – I too want to know about the Chopped Challenge date!

9. Anonymous says

Guidelines? Really? You want RULES for date night?

I really think that your husband/boyfriend is digging for a stick that you probably did not put in the jar. It is the only stick he is looking for, hoping for, dreaming about. “No Pants Friday”

• Anonymous says

Dont be asshole, dont like the idea then dont do the jar. You dont need to insult her and her husband, fucking dick.

• says

LOL. I think the “No Pants Friday” stick is a clever idea. Imagine his face when he pulls THAT stick and wasn’t expecting it. You can say something like “Oh, how did that get in there? Well, pull another one and we’ll do both!”

10. says

I can’t believe that I FINALLY decide to start dabbling in this obsession called Pinterest, and the in the FIRST craft I click on I see Auburn! My heart did flips. WDE! My husband and I are stationed in Kansas and can’t WAIT to get back to Fort Benning. I am going to make this for his birthday next month. Thanks for the wonderful idea. BTW, I might be able to take you on as the most indesisive person in the world. :)

11. says

I just found this post via pinterest. WHAT A GREAT IDEA! Every time we have to pick what to do on a date it becomes such a huge production and I am as well super indecisive. Not only am I copying this idea for myself and my hubby, you officially have a new follower!

12. Anonymous says

My mom had something like this as a chore list for my kids. She put a chore and payment on each stick. Thililt take take out trash $.50, water flowers $1.00 (she has lots of flowers), and anything else the boys might do at her house. If they wanted money for something they would work on the chore sticks and make as much as they offered, or as little as they needed. It was really a fun way for them to make money, and grandma got work done.

13. Anonymous says

This is such a great idea! It’s hard not to go out and buy the stuff and start now! Thanks for the amazing idea!

14. says

I love this idea! I am working on doing this for my husband and my family. I am however going to change the white sticks from fillers, to date nights that include the entire family. Thank you so much for the fun and creative idea!

15. Anonymous says

Instead of popsicle sticks i found color foam that is very similar to the sticks. that way i dont have to paint the sticks because they’re already in 5 different colors! i plan on making this for my boyfriend for our 2 year anniversary of dating together. We always get stuck on things to do. loveee this idea!

16. says

It’s so nice to find someone as indecisive & ADD as I am! Most people won’t admit it as freely as me…so it’s refreshing to see!

17. says

This is fabulous! I will make one for the hubby and I. But I will also make one for my daughter and son-in-law, who just had twins!!! Theirs will be one free night (or day) of babysitting, two hours of housecleaning so mom can bond (or sleep), I will bring them a homemade meal, etc…
    So cool~

18. Anonymous says

My husband and I have been married 32 years and are just a few months from being complete empty nesters but still working fulltime. I’m going to make this for him and hope it will solve our indecisiveness on what to do on a Saturday night.

19. says

Thank you for sharing this wonderful idea, I just finished making my date night jar with some changes. I did the same categories that you did plus another one, I added 20 blue and white stick with just restaurants on them, some new and some favorites, for when we just need to figure out what to eat! This was an awesome project, loved it!

20. Anonymous says

Love this idea but I might make one with just restaurants – with 2 adults, 1 fussy teen and another fussy tween – picking a restaurant for a family dinner can be PAINFUL :-) I’ll use the same color sticks for all of us and then we each get to put the same number of choices in the jar so there aren’t any claims of favoritism…Thank you!

21. says

So cute!!!! I love this idea! My hubby is always trying to get me to go on more dates, but with a toddler that feels impossible sometimes. :) I think this will be a nice compromise!

22. Linnea says

I found this via Pinterest (as a stalker – I’m still waiting for my invite!) and immediately crafted my own version using a mason jar, chalk paint, and the tongue depressors! I LOVE IT! Great idea that both me and my husband are excited about!

23. says

I’m a single mom with no plans for date nights soon for me, but I love this idea and may use it with my little princesses. Very fun.

24. says

25. says

I really like this. My husband is deployed and we’re starting one now so when he gets back we will have a jar full of fun to pick from. He emails me his ideas and I add them to the jar with mine. Thank you.

• Anonymous says

That’s a great idea….. please let us know what your husband thinks after doing this idea, why he likes it or why he doesn’t??? Thanks

26. Anonymous says

I started mine last night and will finish this evening. I used a mason jar, natural wood colored tongue depressors and a variety of fine tipped sharpie markers to draw the emblems of our favorite restaurants, pictures of date ideas like going to our local stock car race track or to our local casino (I drew part of a craps table and some dice). I was shocked at my own creativity. YAY! I’m doing this as a surprise and will be giving it to him tomorrow evening. I hope he likes it!

27. Anonymous says

Lol…. I see that the girls are loving this idea. I would like to know what the guys think of this idea????

28. says

Love this. My bf did something similar for me for my birthday except it was a box filled with different things corresponding to each activity. Like a mariners key chain, ad from a hotel, bag of popcorn, stuff like that. He also wrote a note explaining that I could bring one thing from each category when I came to visit since we are doing the long distance thing. I loved it and was so shocked that it came from him!

29. says

What an awesome idea! I hope you don’t mind but I’d love to share this on my blog, my husband and I write blog posts about Marriage every Mondays. This Monday we are talking about date night!

30. Anonymous says

Roll tide! I had to say it. Great idea by the way. Thanks for the date suggestions. I’m really indecisive too, so I’ll be entertaining this crafty DIY project.

31. says

I came across this project on Pinterest. I am also very indecisive when it comes to anything! And, living far away from family, we don’t get many date nights. But I am starting to work on my own version of this as an anniversary gift for my husband. Thanks for such a great idea!

32. says

Thanks so much for this idea! My boyfriend and I are both very indecisive, so this is perfect for us! I plan on giving it to him for his birthday in a few weeks (along with some others things as well). I also added two extra sticks of each color for him to add in some ideas of his own. I can’t wait to see how much he likes this!

• says

I forgot to write that I also put mine in a flower pot rather than a mason jar because my boyfriend likes to garden! Just an extra idea if you need it!

33. Anonymous says

I love this idea!! I am going to add another color for “new places” to include all of those restaurants,museums,etc.. That we would like to go to but can never decide when to go.

34. Anonymous says

I love this idea! Thinking about doing “try something different” popsicle sticks like go to a restaurant never been to, or go to a concert that you don’t know the band or one i’ve always wanted to do “go to the airport and hop on the next flight for a weekend getaway” !

35. Anonymous says

Yay! I already had different color popsicle sticks and a used glass peanut butter jar. My husband and I can never agree on what to do, this will be a great way to add variety to our relationship :)

36. Anonymous says

Thinking this would be fun to spice up the bedroom, too. Grab a stick and do what’s on it…different colors for he does and she does. And, no cost gifts he will love!

37. says

I just found this post/idea of yours and I LOVE it! I have been wanting to do something like this for a while now so that we aren’t always annoyed or to tired to come up with an idea and I think this is perfect!

Thanks so much for sharing!

38. says

Jennifer! I love this idea so much that it made its debut on my blog tonight (leannaranieri.blogspot.com). Thanks for such a great idea! I can’t wait to make one for the man in my life! Keep the ideas coming and thanks!

39. says

I had no thought that planning a bridal shower would use a lot of time but it was worth all the planning! I managed to locate an awesome bachelorette party scavenger hunt checklist and it supplied so much laughs, it was an wonderful night that we’ll remember forever! We customized our bachelorette party decorations with personalized quotes and pictures over at this web page…
    bridal shower

40. says

Hey Jennifer! I LOVE this idea!! How is it going so far? Do you still use this?

I am just like you I can never decide on what to do, I feel like people are always making me choose where to go and what to do! :)

My husband will enjoy this idea so he doesn’t have to listen to me freak out and try and decide what to do LOL :)

41. Anonymous says

Brilliant! I was trying to figure out what to do for mine other half for a little side present to go with the big present I got him, and this works brilliantly! Oh, btw, WDE dearie. Current student right here.

42. says

Have to say this is a wonderful idea! I am now thinking of making one for Family Night (me, my husband, and son, as we have difficulty thinking of new things to do… Thanks for sharing.

43. MSPK says

This is cooler than shit! Finally, a way to make my husband think he’s not actually trapped in a soul killing marriage with me!

44. Jennifer says

I just finished making this for our 5th anniversary! I love that it allows us to have a diversity of choices and helps keep our plans fresh. Also, it is great for getting some things off our bucket list in a really fun fashion. Awesome idea! So easy to make for a busy working girl!

45. Anonymous says

What are the white sticks?? LoL. I Love the idea. Maybe I’ll do one for my husband for Christmas. I don’t know where you live, but the melting pot would def. be on the $$$ in our area! haha. Thanks for the ideas thought! :)

46. Anonymous says

SOOOO doing this because everytime it comes to doing something my husband and I never agree on anything cause we always say we can do whatever lol! tired of that so this will be freat for us. Im also going to do a kids one for my daughter filled with different things to do for her as well. Thank you GREAT IDEA!!!!

47. says

What a great idea! Whenever my husband and I have a date night that doesn’t revolve around a specific event (a play, a movie, etc.), we spend the entire day trying to figure out what to do. I like that this has it already planned out! The “his choice” or “her choice” is also a good idea. It takes the pressure off and makes it obvious who gets to choose! Thanks for sharing your idea! (Found it on Pinterest.)

48. Kathy H says

My grandson used to get upset at being left behind when Mommy and Daddy went out for a date night – until we explained he was also on a date night with Grandma and Grandpa. This would be good for our ‘date nights’ but include make popcorn & a movie, go to Barnes and Nobles for hot chocolate and looking at books, go to the zoo, flying kites, camping in the backyard, make cookies. For the joint custody or weekend custody parents, this could work too – Daddy & me, or Mommy and me jars.

49. says

So, I put together a date night jar, but I am turning it into a “game” at my Best Friend’s bridal shower! I filled out one of each color as an example, and am letting the shower guests write their own date night ideas and names on the rest of the sticks. There is a set of instructions set up on the table so that everyone knows which color is which and they can fill out the sticks at their convenience throughout the day. I am not doing the following at my friend’s shower, but once everyone has filled out the sticks, you could have the bride vote for her favorite, and the person who wrote the winning stick could receive a prize! It is way more cute and fun than the traditional games they play at showers.

50. Stacey says

I just came across this on Pinterest, and I’m really excited about it. Not only am I going to make one for my husband and I, but I’m going to turn it into a Bridal shower activity for my sister’s shower! :)

51. Alexandra says

Making these for my husband and other couple’s in our family as Christmas presents. Since we all live in the same city I have tailored some of the ideas and added some more. Here is my list. Thanks for the idea!
    $$ Dates (have more expensive dates on them that require planning on our part.)
    1. Dinner at a fancy restaurant
    2. Hotel stay for the night
    3. Bed and breakfast
    4. Couples massage
    Home Dates (Home dates require little planning and usually cost no money or very little.)
    1. Cook a new meal together
    2. Fondue over candle light
    3. Takeout and board games
    4. Football game and nachos
    5. Popcorn and a chick-flick
    6. Crosswords and breakfast for dinner
    7. Make a dessert together and eat it!
    8. Homemade pizzas and an Italian movie
    9. Pick a book from our shelves and read it out loud together
    10. Look through our wedding album or watch our wedding DVD (or some other photo album)
    11. Plan our dream vacation together while eating ice cream
    12. Listen to music and dance together
    $ Dates (These are dates that require a little planning, but not very expensive. Something you can do really any weekend.)
    1. Dessert-only date at Baker’s Crust
    2. Window shop for the house
    3. Go bowling
    4. Coffee date
    5. Try a new restaurant and/or cuisine
    6. Miniature golf
    7. Dinner and a movie (his choice)
    8. Dinner and a movie (her choice)
    9. Afternoon at the Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens
    10. Go get frozen yogurt at Sweet Frog
    11. Go ice skating
    12. Picnic and feeding the animals at Maymont
    13. Go see an IMAX film at the Science Museum
    14. Go to VMFA
    15. Go on a walk in the woods at the public park
    16. Go out for brunch

52. says

this is so genius. I am totally doing this it would be perfect and so much fun for my husband and I! We can never decide where to go or what to do on date night & this takes the pressure off and makes it fun! LOVE

53. Morgan says

Thanks so much! With a baby due in 6 weeks, the hubs and I were worried about not getting alone time, but this is a great way to make it happen! :) This will be a Christmas present for him.

54. says

My boyfriend and I have been together for 4 1/2 years but have had a lot on our minds lately with finishing our degrees. I think this might by our saving grace and much needed way to settle on what to do considering we put so much pressure on the nights we do have together. I can actually keep a lot of the same ideas but I’m excited to come up with us-specific ones 😀 And who knows, now that we are done with finals, maybe he can help me make them! haha Thanks for sharing this! Best wishes!

-Monica

55. says

This is such a cute idea!! And I absolutely love that it’s color coded – there are some great choices in there. I feel like I could use one of these even for my single life – when I know I SHOULD get out of my bed, but I really just am too lazy to make a decision. And there are things that I always forget – like rush tickets to the theater or orchestra. Maybe this would help me remember…
    Chrystina recently posted..a tribute to the baton rouge chorusMy Profile

56. says

We love playing Date Night Dare. You can find it at http://www.datenightdare.com. We complete the challenge and pass it on to someone else. It is really fun and affordable and most of the things you can fit into a super busy schedule like ours. It has a lot of ideas similar to these plus hundreds more. I can’t wait for the next set to release.

57. FutureMrsC says

I’m making this for my wedding! I’ll do a couple examples for each category and let my guests fill in the rest. Lots of new ideas!

58. Debra M. says

LOVE this! Cannot wait to add some excitement, spontaneity & dates back into our marriage! I think I am going to do this for my son & DIL’s bridal shower or their wedding. HOW FUN!! Thanks :)

59. says

Hi Jennifer – Just wanted to let you know that I love this project idea. I’m getting ready to kick off Kathi Lipp’s “The Marriage Project” on 2/14 and am using this as a pre-project craft idea. I linked to your blog – thanks for sharing :)

Leigh

60. Brad says

My Girlfriend just pinned this on pinterest last night. so i made her one today and will surprise her tonight. I think she is going to love it!

61. Kristen says

My husband is 2 weeks away from a year long deployment to Afghanistan. I’m wanting to make some changes while he is gone and find new ways for us to have fun together without the kids. I saw this post and I seriously had to hold back tears! I love this idea-it sounds like so much fun and I think it will be a fun and easy way for us to make time for each other! I am so excited to start this when he comes home!!! Such a great idea!!!

62. says

I do not write many remarks, but i did some searching and wound up here Date Night Jar.
    And I do have a couple of questions for you if it’s allright. Could it be only me or does it look like some of the comments come across like they are coming from brain dead individuals? 😛 And, if you are writing on other online social sites, I’d
    like to follow anything fresh you have to post.

Could you list of the complete urls of your public sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin
    profile?
    the hcg Diet Gourmet Cookbook reviews recently posted..the hcg Diet Gourmet Cookbook reviewsMy Profile

63. whit says

Love this! Doing one for hubby and me as well as for a couple as a wedding guft! Left blank for them to fill in :)

64. marisa says

How often do youvguys pull from the jar? I would like to make this kind of as an encourager for my husband but arewe talking weekly? Twice a week? Or twice a month?

65. annette says

Love this idea, we have 5 children. Thursday night has always been our night but some times the week gets so busy we can’t decide what to do! Thank you

66. Laura says

I love this idea!!
    I’m going to try the date night jar and recipe jars – also might try a ‘Get Fit Jar’ too!

67. says

Thank you so much! This is fantastic! I fell so in love with this idea that I ran straight out to buy supplies. I did make one modification that I loved: I added a fourth color for dreams and wishes down the road. Ideas in this category include a European vacation, a trip to Mexico, etc. I divided all the sticks into colors and then in half: half for me to fill out, half for my other half to write. I’m giving it to him tonight: I hope he likes it!

68. says

This was probably one of my first pins. Of course, I’m pin happy but haven’t done it yet. I finally made this for a bridal shower that I attended this weekend. It was a huge hit! My “tongue depressors” (lots of nurses at this event) were three shades of purple cuz the bride-to-be is a huge Ravens fan. I tried to make some of the events specific to the area where she lives while others were more generic. She read about a half dozen to the attendees when I suggested, gently, that we move along and she could read them at her leisure later. It was passed around. Must admit, after opening a bunch of Crate and Barrel presents that were all variations on plain white dinnerware, this homemade gift was a bright spot in the afternoon. Several of the sticks read “Make popcorn and…..(watch a rom/com or play a board game or scary movie)”My other gift was a stove top Whirley Pop popcorn maker. The gifts went well together. Thanks for a great gift idea!

69. says

Wow, you are so creative! This is so sweet, time saver (sometimes me and my guy spend more time arguing where to go for dinner than the dinner it self), very easy DIY too. My friend used to make like coupon, same with this, but I think this one is much better because of the fact that it involved the partner. This is the first time that I visited your site and it is really nice..:)

70. Bree says

I made our date night jar last night. I’m looking forward to this! Hubby and I aren’t really good at making date night a priority and want to change that. Our plan is on Thursday one of us (alternating weeks) will pick on out. It is that persons responsibility to plan that date for the following week. We’ve been married 14 years with three daughters and I think this is a great way to keep the fire burning! Thx

Trackbacks

1. […] wanted to make TGF a present for our One Year Anniversary, and decided to make something like the Date Night In A Jar made by Jennifer over at Life In The Green House. I wasn’t able to find popsicle sticks (my […]

2. […] Date Night Jar – This is a fun idea that I found on Pinterest. Make a jar filled with popsicle sticks that each have a date idea on them and are color-coded for how much time/money they involve. When it’s time for a date night, y’all can just pull out a popsicle stick (say, a red one for an at-home, free date or a white one for a “fancy” night out) and the decision of what to do is made for you! […]

3. […] Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, but who wants to save all the fun and excitement for just one day?  Try making a date night jar to keep the love going all year round.  It’s an easy idea for couples looking to mix things up, or maybe you both are just indecisive about what you want to do.  I have a quick tutorial of how to make the jar, but it’s completely customizable.  This great tutorial comes from Life In The Green House. […]

4. […] And then I found this – It’s this fantastic idea that requires eating a WHOLE lot of Popsicles to achieve (okay, well you can buy a pack of them at the store) to create a fun and somewhat spontaneous date experience. Color code all of your date ideas by cost and planning time (three categories ranging from super easy to plan and inexpensive to requires a lot of planning and/or expensive) then place them in a jar to be drawn at random. Find out more about the date night jar. […]

5. […] Date Night in a Jar -One of my favorites is a “Date Night in a Jar” post I found over on Lifeinthegreenhouse.com blog. She put together a super simple way of always having something creative to do for date night and putting the ideas on Popsicle sticks in a mason jar. Color coded for type of date: at home,  night out but not too expensive, and more costly, more planning needed dates. […]

6. […] nights. It’s great that they already know the importance of spending time alone together. The date night jar idea, such as that one by Life in the Green House that I saw on Pinterest, is totally cute, but a little […]